Are you looking for Bathroom Remodel Ideas? Bathroom remodels used to be more about functionality than aesthetics. But this is 2018, and beauty is just as important as practicality! Your bathroom should be a safe haven, a place you can go for tranquility and inspiration (some people get their best ideas in the shower!). When building or remodeling your home, don’t neglect your bathroom’s potential for greatness. Here are some bathroom ideas to get you inspired on your custom home project:
Get Creative With Tile
There is so much room for creativity when it comes to bathroom tile – both on the wall and flooring. Here are a few tips when selecting the right tile for your bathroom:
- Matte tile is in vogue right now, not only for its subtle elegance, but also because it doesn’t show water stains and smudges as much as tile with a glossy sheen. Just be sure your bathroom has enough light, since matte tiles aren’t as reflective.
- Neutral colors are where it’s at. Gone are the brightly-colored Florida tiles of yesterday – homeowners want palettes of gray and beige. Just be sure to layer in different shades, textures, shapes and fixtures to bring the space to life.
- Use light colors to make a small space feel bigger. A white bathroom is perfect for creating space and brightness – just be sure to add some texture and depth using different kinds of tiles. Try a mosaic or different tile pattern to jazz things up a little.
- Subway tile and geometric designs are trending right now. You can create some beautiful rhythm in the bathroom using different sizes and shapes of tile.
- Earthy is in. Wood-grain plank tile has become a popular choice among homeowners, as it gives the illusion of wood with the practicality of tile. Marble is also a timeless favorite in bathrooms, carrying a classic elegance and the feeling of real stone.
Fix Your Fixtures In a Way That you LOVE
Bathroom fixtures include sinks, tubs, toilets, faucets and shower heads. Something like a faucet may seem small, but it is in no way minor when it comes to bathroom design. Selecting the right fixtures can mean the difference between mediocre and WOW. Here is some advice when choosing your fixtures:
- If possible, choose a freestanding tub. This is trending for a reason – not only does it give you more room in your bathroom, it creates a look of simple, delicate elegance that most homeowners love. Of course it depends on your bathroom – if you have the room and want to go for a little more luxury, by all means, build a raised Jacuzzi tub.
- Use finishes and fixtures to bring your bathroom design together. Choose a finish that complements the overall look and inspires you. Whether it’s brass, brushed nickel or stainless steel – select the same finish for the shower heads, faucets, drains, and even the light fixtures, mirrors and cabinet pulls. Those small details make all the difference in the world.
- Use frameless glass for the shower enclosure. Not only does this add more space to your bathroom, it is easier to clean and enables you to view the beautiful tile work in your shower.
Get the Vanity Set-Up You Deserve
Whether you’re using your vanity for washing up, putting on makeup, doing your hair, or just checking your appearance before work, you should have the kind of set-up that is not only comfortable and practical, but leaves you feeling confident and ready to take on the day. Here are some things to consider when creating your vanity area:
- Cabinets: make sure you select a style and finish that complement each other and the overall look of the bathroom. Consider everything you use your bathroom for – what kind of drawers and cabinets do you need? How deep should the drawers be? Will you have medicine cabinets, or do you need to have everything in your vanities?
- Countertop: Whether it’s marble, granite, quartz or concrete, your countertop should be the crowning glory of your vanity. For more information on the different kinds of countertops popular today, check out our article on the subject.
- Lighting: Do not limit yourself to can lights in the bathroom – they will cast strange shadows and will not give you a proper reflection of your appearance. We recommend sconce lights over the mirror or set on either side, to add a soft glow around the mirror. You can also get lighting set in your mirror, with the option for different settings depending on what you are doing.
- Mirrors: This is a great way to add character to your bathroom. There are a number of different options out there, and we recommend perusing Pinterest or Houzz to find the style that you love most. You may want a double-wide mirror or two matching mirrors for a his-and-hers vanity. If you don’t like too many sharp edges, you may opt for a round mirror or two. You can play around with frames, or choose a pivot mirror. You will be surprised at how the mirror you choose really changes the look of your bathroom.
Nelson Construction and Renovations, a family business founded in 2006, is a design-build company that specializes in high-end remodels, home additions, and custom homes. If you are looking interested in a bathroom remodel you can learn more on our remodeling services page. With our headquarters in Clearwater, Florida, we serve homeowners all over Pinellas and Hillsborough Counties. We are an award-winning member of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry and have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to re-post this article in its entirety with credit to Nelson Construction and a clickable link back to this page.