One side reads practical, the other says stunning. Flipping a coin when it comes to bathroom remodels is out of the question: you need to incorporate both for the best result.
The Functional Side of Bathroom Remodels:
Not everything can be about beauty. So do some brainstorming about what will make your new bathroom fabulously
functional, as well as good looking. Safety, efficiency, and adequate storage should all come to mind.
Safety is common sense in any room of your home, but the bathroom can present its own particular set of hazards. Designs for bathroom remodels should take into account the needs and ages of the bathroom users—are there seniors or young children in the home, for example, needing adaptations that aren’t necessarily standard?
Safety first: Here are a few solid bathroom safety tips to talk to your builder about:
- Surefooted – Using slip-resistant materials in and around wet areas to guard against slips and falls.
- No zaps, please – Protecting outlets with a ground-fault circuit interrupter. Your builder’s electrician can easily install these for you to prevent shocks if water and electricity come together.
- This grabs me – Or the other way around. These days, grab bars in bathtub and shower areas don’t have to look institutional, and frankly, they’re not just for seniors. We’ve all ill-advisedly used a built-in soap dish or towel rack to hold onto, but safe and sturdy support is what you want if you lose your footing in the tub or shower. Think sleek and stylish chrome.
- Hidden dangers – If there are small prying fingers in the vicinity, ensure that there are medicine cabinets or other storage spots that aren’t easily accessible to young ones who might get into medication or be curious about items such as manicure scissors, nail polish remover and cleaning supplies, for example, all of which should be kept well out of reach.
Bathroom Remodels: The Aesthetic Aspect
Safety and practicality aside, why can’t your new bathroom also be beautiful, even spa-like and downright luxurious? When it comes to bathroom remodels, the other side of the coin displays the wow factor. It’s time to create the visually pleasing and pampering environment that you deserve, where color, texture and mood all come into play.
- Neutral or Monochromatic – Think bright, airy and uncomplicated white, with splashes of eye-catching accent color, such as brilliant green, rich turquoise or funky fuchsia. Planning a monochrome bathroom space using only black and white for fixtures, tiles and other features can be daring and dramatic.
- Make a statement – Bringing a unique and unexpected piece of furniture into the bathroom adds panache and personality. Consider a gorgeous antique display cabinet to hold towels and extra amenities like shampoo, soap and TP.
- Serenity now – Will your bathroom be a place of escape and relaxation? Make the tub extra roomy, with a comfortable sloped back, and don’t forget those spa-like water jets!
- Mood magic – Attractive and versatile lighting is a MUST. Chandeliers are back in style with more styles than ever to choose from. Try the surprise of a traditional crystal beauty in an otherwise minimalist and contemporary setting—the effect is amazing. The tried and true dimmer switch gives you total control.
When it comes to bathroom remodels, you don’t need to sacrifice safety for style, or the other way around. With the right builder on board, you can have both, and create the bathroom of your dreams.
Greg Nelson is the owner of Nelson Construction & Renovations Inc. He is a Florida State Certified Building Contractor, creating artistry in all areas of design and construction projects. He is a musician, and artist. A husband and father, Greg appreciates all the wonderful elements of family life.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Nelson Construction and a clickable link back to this page..
"Reliable, Licensed & Insured Building Contractor"
For A NO Obligation Design ConsultationContact Us