Holidays are the perfect time to do those little home improvement projects you may have been putting off all year. Around the holidays you usually have more home traffic, and you want your place to look its best. There are many trouble-free projects you and your family can do to jazz up your home for the holidays. Not only will it make your guests feel comfortable and at home, it will give you an excuse to spend quality time working on your home with your family.
Read on for five tips to improve your home this time of year.
- Where to start? What is the first thing everyone will see? Your front door and entryway!
Make it a little festive, give everyone that holiday spirit as they approach or walk through your door. Put a wreath on the door, add some greenery and lights. If you really want to take it up a notch, add a fresh coat of paint to the front door to make it stand out.
- Speaking of painting, you can paint multiple places and make it look new again, not just your front door. Your bathroom could always use a little touch up to make it look its best and clean as possible. You can even pick a nice color add an accent wall in your house. This will not only be eye-catching, but it will also add some value to your home.
- Everyone knows the holidays mean food. With that being said, the dining room is VERY important.
A couple ways to spice it up a little:
- Make sure your dining room has adequate lighting. Consider adding some pendant lights, wall sconces, or a chandelier over the dining table. We recommend a chandelier with downlights to spill soft light on people’s faces while pushing light down to the table below. Be sure to find a chandelier that is the right shape and size for your table, and get the height right – don’t hang it so far above the table that no one can see it, but don’t let it hang so low that you can’t see anyone across the table. We usually recommend hanging the chandelier between 28 and 32 inches above the table, from the table to the bottom of the fixture.
- Consider the look you are going for this year and let your décor create the ambiance you want. Are you going soft and sophisticated? Try a snowy white theme, with a sleek table cloth and table settings in crystal and silver. Would you rather achieve a comfortable, home-made look? Use big splashes of red and green. Use a burlap table runner, bright red place mats, and sprigs of holly as a centerpiece.
- Another important space is the sitting area. You want to make sure your friends and family all have a place to sit and enjoy each others company and conversation. A warm cozy living room is perfect for this time of year. You can add pillows or get new pillows for the couch. Getting new drapery or a new rug can really change the whole dynamic of the room itself as well.
Also, don’t be afraid to fill your house with more than one tree! Consider one in the sitting room and perhaps a smaller one in the dining room – or even one in the bedroom. Imagine waking up every morning to the smell of evergreen and the warmth of Christmas lights.
- Lastly, you can do minor touch ups to your home’s exterior.
- Roof and siding repairs
- Any issues with the gutters
- Landscaping and gardening
With all the excitement you will have with your “new” home, let’s not forget what the holidays are ultimately about…Family and Friends and the time and memories you share with them.
Nelson Construction and Renovations, a family business founded in 2006, is a design-build company that specializes in high-end remodels, home additions, and custom homes. With our headquarters in Clearwater, Florida, we serve homeowners all over Pinellas and Hillsborough Counties. We are an award-winning member of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry and have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to re-post this article in its entirety with credit to Nelson Construction and a clickable link back to this page.