Today’s kitchen is a home’s focal point. The modern style of kitchen has caught on for new homes and remodeled kitchens alike because of its aesthetic appeal, open space and improved functionality.
The range of kitchen countertops available has grown incredibly because of new stylings and designs. Gone are the days when you were limited to just melamine or granite. Some modern countertops look classic, while others look distinctly European or even space-age. There are so many materials, styles and shapes. Let’s look at some of the best countertops for a modern style kitchen.
Choosing Countertop Material
- Granite and Marble. Always classy. There are many beautiful patterns and color combinations.
- Concrete. It can be molded into any shape and have any pattern or color scheme added to it. You can even have features embedded. Concrete countertops are strong, stain resistant, and improve with age.
- Wood. New wood is nice. Reclaimed wood from old homes or barns can be stunning. Wood countertops add warmth and classic appeal to a modern style kitchen.
- Glass. Recycled glass is environmentally friendly, durable, long-lasting and has different color options than stone.
- Metal. Stainless steel countertops give a kitchen a clean, industrial, almost European look. For more warmth, consider bronze or burnished copper.
- Quartz and Soapstone. Quartz is scratch resistant and easy to care for. It is easier to clean than granite, has a long life and comes in a variety of colors. Soapstone is quarried like quartz, has a lovely natural color, and scratches can be oiled or sanded.
Modern Countertop Design Ideas
We all know about the standard shapes of countertops and these work very well. But to create or upgrade a modern style kitchen, consider some unique designs and touches.
- A centerpiece of a large, solid slab of soapstone, wood, concrete or even stainless steel. The uninterrupted countertop provides a minimalist look with clean lines. This is very much in the modern style, especially if there can be a large skylight directly above it. Some love the “industrial” look of the stainless steel, while the other materials can have a softer appearance.
- Long countertops in galley style. The elongated, smooth lines bring a modern look to any kitchen, especially if the countertops are polished. They are also great for using as a bar or buffet.
- Waterfall countertop. Instead of the counter material being on the top only and stopping at the edge, have it flow over and down to the floor – or part-way to the floor – just like a waterfall. The smooth flow of this countertop for your kitchen’s island, peninsula or breakfast bar makes a truly modern look. This countertop can be made with stone, concrete, wood, melamine, almost anything.
- A circular countertop – either on its own or wrapped around a feature like a fireplace. Round shapes are way more modern for the kitchen than right angles and circular counters are more inviting for socializing.
- If circular isn’t practical, just a sweeping, curved arc for your countertops will modernize the kitchen to make it feel like a bar in a resort.
- Glass laid over your favorite color or pattern. A beautiful and unique look.
- How about bronze? These modern countertops stand out in truly unique fashion and add such warmth to the kitchen.
For your modern kitchen, consider your family’s lifestyle and let countertops reflect your personality and style, while complementing the cabinets, flooring, tiling and appliances.
You don’t have to break the bank to have modern style countertops for your kitchen. With costs varying almost as much as the materials to choose from, you’re bound to find something appealing.