Rather than spending more time away on pricey vacations, many Americans are looking at some relatively simple home improvement projects to maximize the enjoyment of their at-home down time. Garden areas and back yards in general are being transformed into beautiful, private extensions of the interior space, literally opening up the possibilities for family and guests to relax.
With a gorgeous patio design in the hands of experienced concrete specialists, you’ll be amazed by the results that can now be achieved with this popular and versatile material. Whether your home improvement project involves a complete re-do of an existing patio or the creation of an entirely new outdoor feature, consider the practicality and great looks of modern concrete styles and finishes.
Advantages of Building a Patio
A patio home improvement project provides many advantages for homeowners:
- Increase your home’s resale value – Exterior improvements are just as important and eye-catching as home’s interior enhancements. Many potential homebuyers, particularly in Florida, immediately appreciate a property’s attractive and usable private outdoor areas.
- Party on – If you love to entertain, don’t be restricted by your kitchen and dining room space. A stunning patio area functions as an additional entertainment area, increasing social “flow” and inviting guests to mingle and relax in a comfortable setting.
- Extension of a house – One of the reasons you live in Florida is to take advantage of the tremendous year-round climate. A patio isn’t just great for entertaining guests; it’s also the perfect private spot for you to spend a lazy afternoon with a pitcher of iced tea. Read a book or just gaze at the sky; indulge.
Planning for Patio Home Improvement
Of course, before you can kick back on the chaise lounge under a snazzy sun umbrella, there are decisions to make. Today’s concrete patios are more sophisticated than ever before, so before things get started, discuss the various design options with your contractor. Will your patio be raised or at ground level? How about multi-level? Are you planning to go all out on amenities or do you just want a simple space to chill out? Some features to consider Include:
- Steel, wood or concrete railings
- Sunken or elevated areas for intimate seating or dining
- Pathways to the pool and throughout the garden (concrete stepping stones are great accents!)
- Custom concrete planters in contrasting colors that pop
Many homeowners and builders opt for concrete because of its versatility and durability. It can be custom molded into any shape, size and pattern, with remarkable and striking results. Concrete can be heavily brushed, lightly smoothed, patterned, tinted, scored, swirled, or even surfaced with pebbles.
Concrete can be patterned to look like wood, tile, stone, flagstone, slate or brick. Stamped concrete can be selected to blend easily with existing stone or tile materials to create a successful transition between new and old surfaces. A final tip: the design and texture you choose should complement both your landscape and home interior, to heighten the sense of continuity throughout the living space.
Greg Nelson is the owner of Nelson Construction & Renovations Inc. He is a Florida State Certified Building Contractor, creating artistry in all areas of design and construction projects. He is a musician, and artist. A husband and father, Greg appreciates all the wonderful elements of family life.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Nelson Construction and a clickable link back to this page.